I was recently in need of a quick baby shower gift, so I whipped up this adorable dribble bib and burp cloth set - with patchwork! (because patchwork makes everything sweeter!)
You don't have to make your baby shower bib and burp cloth with patchwork - you could also use this free pattern with regular cotton or flannel fabric to sew a simple baby set that's so fast to make.
I used 4'' squares of quilting cotton and coordinating solid flannel fabric. They are so soft and cuddly. Of course, you could use boyish prints to make them less feminine, if you like.
I used hook and loop tape (velcro) for mine because it is naturally a little bit adjustable and can be pulled off easily. You could also use a snap.
The bib fits babies 3-12 months.
Finished dimensions: bib - approximately 12’’ x 9 1/2’’; burp cloth - approximately 15 1/2’’ x 8 1/2’’.
You will need:
small pieces of 4 different quilting cotton prints
1/2 yd of solid pink flannel
1 yard of medium weight woven interfacing (such as Pellon SF101)
a 1’’ piece of hook and loop tape (velcro)
the baby bib and burp cloth pattern pieces provide in the pattern
From the different prints of quilting cotton fabric, cut:
9 squares 4'' x 4'' for the bib (2-3 from each print)
12 squares 4'' x 4'' for the burp cloth (3 from each print)
From the pink flannel, cut:
3 squares 4'' x 4'' for the bib
3 squares 4'' x 4'' for the burp cloth
1 from the bib pattern piece
1 from the burp cloth pattern piece
From the medium weight woven interfacing, cut:
1 rectangle 11’’ x 14 1/2’’
1 rectangle 11’’ x 18’’
Sewing the Patchwork Pieces:
All seam allowances for this project are 1/4’’.
Arrange the 12 squares for the bib in a pleasing 3 by 4 pattern. Sew together in rows of 3. Then sew the rows together to make a 3 by 4 piece of patchwork. Fuse the 11’’ x 14 1/2’’ piece of interfacing to the back.
Arrange the 15 squares for the burp cloth in a pleasing 3 by 5 pattern. Sew together in rows of 3. Then sew the rows together to make a 3 by 5 piece of patchwork. Fuse the 11’’ x 8’’ piece of interfacing to the back.
Sewing the Baby Set Together:
1. Fold the 3 by 4 patchwork in half lengthwise and pin the bib pattern piece to it, aligned with the fold. Cut out.
2. Fold the 3 by 5 piece in half widthwise and pin the burp cloth pattern piece to it, aligned with the fold. Cut out.
3. Pin the patchwork bib front and the flannel bib back right sides together. Stitch all the way around with a 1/4’’ seam allowance, leaving a 3’’ opening on one side for turning. Repeat with the burp cloth pieces.
4. Cut notches into the seam allowances around all of the curves. Clip the corners on the bib.
Tip: Pinking shears make quick wo rk when you need to cut a lot of notches, but do not trim the seam allowances at the openings.
5. Turn the bib and the burp cloth right side out through the openings. Use a point turner or chop stick to ensure that all of the corners and edges are turned completely
6. Press both items flat. Turn the raw edges at the openings to the inside and press.
7. Stitch all the way around the bib and burp cloth 1/8’’ from the edge, closing the openings at the same time.
8. Sew the hook and loop pieces to the top of the bib with the softer piece on the back and the scratchy piece on the front.
Have fun at the baby shower!
Still want more sewing gifts for baby? Check out my Baby Love to Sew Pinterest board.