Sew an easy collar for your dog, cat, llama, or iguana! This fun and easy sewing project uses simple supplies - just fabric, a d-ring, and some velcro.
The pet collar is adjustable because of the velcro, so it’s perfect for a growing puppy or kitty.
Here’s my suggestion: use scrap fabric for the collar, and when it no longer fits - cut off the d-ring and re-use it for a slightly larger one!
How to Sew an Easy DIY Pet Collar:
First measure around your pet’s neck to determine the size of the collar. It should fit comfortably - and not too tight.
Take your ‘comfortable’ neck measurement and add 5 to it.
You will need:
a rectangle of fabric that is 4’’ x (comfortable neck measurement) + 5’’
a 1’’ d-ring
2’’ of hook and loop tape (velcro)
1. Fold the strip of fabric in half lengthwise and press. Fold the long edges to the center, press. Then fold it in half and press one more time.
2. To sew finished ends, open the folded strip and fold the end back on itself. Stitch across with a 1/4’’ seam allowance.
Repeat on the other side.
3. Fold the strip back as pressed, tucking the raw edges inside. Press.
4. Topstitch all the way around the strap close to the edge.
5. Pass one end of the strap through the d-ring and fold back by about 1/2’’. Stitch back and forth to secure.
6. At the opposite end of the strap (and on the other side), sew both pieces of the hook and loop tape (the scratchy piece and the soft piece), about 1/2’’ apart.