Welcome back to our Monthly Mini Quilt series! This month we get to sew an adorable mini quilt designed by Melissa Mortenson of Polkadot Chair. You're going to love how easy it is - just stitch up 4 quarter triangle units using 4 fabric squares... add a border, and then the piecing is done!
If you are here in time for our monthly giveaway, make sure you scroll to the bottom to enter. A huge FQ bundle of adorable fabric is up for grabs!
We've had some amazing designers contribute to this free mini quilt pattern series, so if you're just joining us now you can find all of our previous mini quilts in the menu bar at the top of the page and on my Mini Quilt Pinterest Board.
Join in at any time and sew along with us - we'll even show off your mini quilt if you send us a picture during the month that the pattern was released here on the SewCanShe blog.
Here's Melissa's Quarter Square Triangle Quartet mini quilt... she used darling fabrics from her collections with Riley Blake.
Make sure you scroll down to the bottom for your chance to win a bundle of her latest collection, Safari Party!
Free Quarter Square Triangle Quarter Mini Quilt Pattern
You will need the following pieces of fabric for making quarter square triangles:
- 1 square 6 1/2'' x 6 1/2'' from floral fabric
- 1 square 6 1/2'' x 6 1/2'' from white fabric (mine was a mostly-white floral)
- 2 squares 6 1/2'' x 6 1/2'' from pink fabric
For the border, you will need:
- 2 strips 2 1/2'' x 10 1/2''
- 2 strips 2 1/2'' x 14 1/2''
You will also need:
- a piece of fabric for the mini quilt back that is at least 15'' x 15''.
- a batting square at least 15'' x 15''
- fabric for the binding (I used two strips 2 1/2'' x 40'', and had some leftover)
- a fabric pen or pencil
- sewing machine, rotary cutter & ruler, etc.
This free mini quilt pattern doesn't take very much fabric so it's a great way to use up scraps from a bigger project. Start by cutting the pieces listed above.
How to make easy quarter square triangles:
1. Draw a diagonal line across the back of the two pink squares.
Note: I used a Frixion pen because the ink disappears under the heat of my iron. But a pencil would be fine here too.
2. Pin each pink square right sides together with one of the remaining 6 1/2'' x 6 1/2'' squares.
3. Sew across the squares, 1/4'' on either side of the line that you drew.
Sewing Tip: Use a short stitch length (like 1.5-2) to keep the seam from coming apart when you cut it later (but not in the next step).
4. Cut your sewn squares into two triangles, right along the line.
5. Press the seams toward the darker fabric and repeat again to make 4 half-square triangle units. But we're not done with them yet!
6. Draw a diagonal line across the back of both pink and white squares. Place them right sides together with the two pink and floral squares. Notice how the seams nest together and the pink fabrics are opposite each other in the photo top right. Pin the squares together..
7. Sew 1/4'' away from both sides of the drawn line as before, and then cut along the line. Press the seams open or to the side, as desired.
You have now made 4 fast and easy quarter square triangles!
Arrange them as seen above right with the floral triangles touching and sew together.
Sew the 2 1/2'' x 10 1/2'' border strips to the sides.
And then sew the 2 1/2'' x 14 1/2'' border strips to the top and bottom. Yay!
Press you mini quilt and trim to square up as necessary. Layer with your batting and backing squares and then quilt as desired. Melissa and I both quilted ours with straight line quilting (mine was diagonal).
Trim once more and bind. Here's my great tutorial on how to bind a mini quilt.
Make sure you email me a picture of your mini quilt so I can show it to everyone in an upcoming mini quilt inspiration post!
I know you're excited about this giveaway! Who couldn't love the new Safari Party fabric collection that Melissa designed for Riley Blake. You can read all about it and see some beautiful projects using Safari Party here.
Enter to win this beautiful bundle of Safari Party - no sewing required. Just use the widget below.
Hurry, the giveaway ends September 30th... good luck!