I LOVE sewing jumbo quilt blocks! Big 18'' quilt blocks like the one are so fast and easy to piece, and before you know it you have a huge quilt! I might have pieced this entire quilt in a day except that I was waiting for more fabric to arrive for my border. 😂
Since this Jumbo Hashtag Quilt is a fun modern design I totally wanted to go with some fun modern fabric for it and I picked this adorable Wool Ewe collection from Ink & Arrow Fabrics. Aren't those sheep in sweaters adorbs??? Ask for this collection at your local quilt shop. I haven't seen it online yet. This Mingle & Jingle bundle is by the same designer and would make an adorable quilt too - perfect for the holidays! You can see it in my free Merry Stars Quilt pattern.
Since that was the largest-scale print in the collection, I put it on the back of my quilt so I could get the whole effect. Oh, and see as many adorable sheep in sweaters as possible, lol!
Are you ready to make a Jumbo Hashtag quilt? Let's get to the pattern...
Jumbo Hashtag Quilt Pattern
Finished block size: 18''. Finished quilt: approximately 72'' square.
You will need:
- 9 fat quarters (or 1/4 yard pieces) of different fabrics for the hashtags
- 1 fat quarter (or 1/4 yard) of black print fabric for the setting squares (I used Pixie Dot Black)
- 3 1/2 yards of white low-volume print fabric for the background and sashing (I used Pixie Dot White)
- 5/8 yard fabric for binding
- 4 1/2 yards backing fabric
- A 75'' or larger square of batting
From each fat quarter of hashtag fabric, cut:
- 2 strips 3 1/2'' x 13 1/2''
- 2 strips 3 1/2'' x 18 1/2''
From the black corner stone fabric, cut:
- 8 squares 5'' x 5''
From the background fabric, cut:
- 9 strips 3 1/2'' x 13 1/2''
- 18 strips 5'' x 13 1/2''
- 12 sashing strips 5'' x 18 1/2''
- 4 border strips 5'' x 63 1/2''
Sewing the Blocks:
For each hashtag block:
- 2 background strips 5'' x 13 1/2''
- 1 background strip 3 1/2'' x 13 1/2''
- 2 print strips 3 1/2'' x 13 1/2''
as seen above. Stitch together. Press the seams toward the print fabric.
2. Cut the sewn block horizontally to make 2 sections that are 5'' x 18 1/2'' and 1 section that is 3 1/2'' x 18 1/2''.
3. Arrange the two remaining 3 1/2'' x 18 1/2'' print strips (of the same print) between the cut sections as seen above. Stitch together. Press the seams toward the print fabric.
Tip: To align the strips accurately, find and mark the center of each. Then match up the centers and pin before stitching.
One jumbo hashtag block is done! Repeat to make 8 more.
Assemble the Quilt Top:
1. Sew 3 hashtag blocks with 2 sashing strips (5'' x 18 1/2'') in between. Press the seams toward the sashing strips.
Repeat to make 2 more rows.
2 Sew 3 sashing strips together with 2 corner stone squares in between.
Repeat one more time to make two long sashing strips like the one shown above.
3. Sew the hashtag rows together with the long sashing strips in between.
4. Sew two corner stone squares on each end of a 5'' x 63 1/2'' border strip.
Repeat one more time to make 2 long border strips like the one above.
5. Sew the 2 border strips (without corner stone squares) to the sides of the quilt top.
Sew the 2 long border strips (with corner stone squares) to the top and bottom of the quilt top.
Baste, quilt, and bind! If you are new to quilting, Craftsy's Quilting Start Up Library will teach you the whole process from start to finish. :)
If you sew one make sure you tag me @sewcanshe on Instagram when you show it off so I can see too!
p.s. Here's a graphic you can pin for later.