Last week I decided to make a special dinner and change the look of my table at the very last minute, and this was the result... a fast and easy table runner!
It was maybe the easiest thing I've ever sewn, lol. I used exactly one yard of Flower Sugar Maison fabric from Lecien and 2 yards of red ric rac trim. The finished dimensions are approximately 41'' long and 17'' wide. The fabric is folded back like origami at the ends and the corners are tacked down to hold them in place.
Do you want to make one?
1 Yard, 5 MInute Table Runner Tutorial:
You will need:
- 1 yard of fabric (home decor, quilting, or any other woven fabric)
- 2 yards of trim (ric rac, pom poms, or even lace would be cute!)
Trim the edges of the yard of fabric to make them straight, if necessary and cut off the selvages. You will have a rectangle of fabric approximately 36'' x 42''.
1. Cut the trim into 2 pieces, each 1 yard long. Baste the trim to the shorter edges of the fabric rectangle (the 36'' long edges), 3/8'' from the edge.
2. Fold the rectangle in half, right sides together with the 42'' long plain edges together and the edges with trim folded in half with a double layer of trim in between.
3. Pin the edges and sew them together with a 3/8'' seam allowance, leaving a 6'' opening in the long edge.
4. Clip the corners and press the seams open. Press the seams back at the opening to make it easier to sew closed.
5. Turn the runner right side out and hand or machine sew the opening closed.
6. Arrange the rectangle with the long seam along the middle of the bottom. Fold the sides to make diagonal squares as seen above. Press all of the edges flat. Pin the squares in place.
7. Tack the inner corners of the squares down by sewing a few stitches back and forth using matching thread.
And there you go!