I love butterflies. I can't explain why... because they start out crawling and learn to fly? because they transform half-way through their life? or maybe just because they are beautiful. No matter why. I picked a butterfly for this month's Classic Blocks: Fresh Fabrics sewalong! And it's very easy.
In our Classic Blocks: Fresh Fabric sewalong this month someone will win a sweet bundle of 9 Season of Love fat quarters! All you'll need to do to enter is sew up one Butterfly Quilt Block (or more) and upload a picture below.
So let's get to it. This block is so fast and easy you won't be able to stop at one. :)
Butterfly Quilt Block Tutorial... makes one 12'' block.
From print fabric (one print or up to 4 different ones for a scrappy look), cut:
- 4 squares 3 1/2'' x 3 1/2'' (for the butterfly wings)
- 1 strip 1 1/2'' x 4 1/2''
From background fabric, cut:
- 6 tiny squares 1 1/2'' x 1 1/2''
- 2 strips 3'' x 6 1/2''
- 2 strips 3 1/2'' x 12 1/2''
1. Use a pencil or fabric marker to draw a diagonal line across 4 of the 1 1/2'' background squares. Place a square against the corner of a 3 1/2'' print square, as shown.
2. Sew across the line.
3. Trim away the corner, leaving a 1/4'' seam allowance. Open up the block and press the seam allowance toward the darker print.
Repeat for all four 3 1/2'' print squares and set them aside.
4. Sew the last two 1 1/2'' background squares to the ends of the 1 1/2'' x 4 1/2'' print strip. Press the seams toward the darker fabric.
5. Arrange the butterfly wings and body strip as shown above. Pay close attention to the direction of the background corners in the upper and lower wing pieces.
6. Sew the wings together, and then attach the wings to the body.
7. Next, add the 3'' x 6 1/2'' background strips to the sides.
8. And finally add the 3 1/2'' x 12 1/2'' background strips to the top and bottom.
How many butterflies will you be sewing up?
Join our sewalong below for your chance to win the sweet bundle of Season of Love fat quarters from Blend Fabrics. All you have to do to enter is upload a picture of your Drunkard's Path block or unit below. I'll choose the winner at random around September 3oth. Make sure you enter your correct email address - that's how I'll notify the winner.
Please note: You don't need to have a blog or enter a link to join our sewalong. The 'Link' field is optional.