Do you have a pretty new bundle of fat quarters that you are dying to use? I have that problem all the time! Lucky for all the FQ loving sewists around, I spend a lot of time dreaming up sewing projects that will make the most of a fat quarter. These aren't projects that use just a 10'' square of fabric (although those are fun too!), but sewing projects that use up most of 1 or more fat quarters.
Here is a list of my favorite projects that use most of 1 or several (up to a whole bundle) of fat quarters. I would love it if you added your own favorite FQ sewing projects to this list in the comments - I might make some of them! :)
P.S. In case you are wondering - a fat quarter of fabric is a piece that is 18'' tall by 20-22'' wide. Imagine taking a yard of fabric and cutting it into 4 quarters like you would a pizza. That's a fat quarter! xoxo
Now on with the list (and I'm going to share a secret at the end)...
1. FQ-Sized Fold Up Baskets - These are made from 1 fat quarter for the exterior and 1 fat quarter for the interior, with a layer of interfacing in between. Hardly any waste!
2. Patchwork Shower Curtain - This adorable shower curtain uses 20-25 fat quarters - so grab that bundle and get started!
3. Are you a quilter? This adorable Bow Tie Baby Quilt uses 4 fat quarters and some backing fabric. Sweet!
4. The free Chubby Lunch Tote pattern takes one fat quarter for the exterior, one for the interior, and some scraps for the handles - get to work!
5. Speaking of bags, let Jennifer Heynen show you how to make a quick gift bag from a fat quarter - this one is genius for the holidays!
6. Did you also know you can make a Tea Towel from 2 Fat Quarters? So pretty!
7. You can also make Cloth Napkins. This tutorial shows you two different methods.
8. The Peek a Boo Pouch can be sewn entirely from 1 fat quarter - but I think it's more fun to switch up the fabrics and make 2 at a time!
9. Or sew yourself a beautiful Travel Jewelry Case with 3 coordinating fat quarters! That pattern is free too, just like all the rest.
Have you read all the way to the bottom to hear my secret??? Well I'm very excited to share that I have a new book coming out in a few months - and it has a ton of projects you can make with fat quarters! That's all I can say right now, but you better stay tuned because I know you're gonna love it!
P.P.S. If you liked this post, I think you'll like my 14 Tote Bags You Can Sew in an Afternoon. :)